Sunday, 18 November 2012

Friendship

Imagine this. A boy sits on a bench at school. His face is wet and blotchy from crying. The truth is he wants a friend, everyday he sits on a bench and waits. Yet every time he tries to make a friend he gets made fun of and laughed at. Nobody has ever given him a chance in friendship. The sad thing is it’s not just him who goes through this everyday, hundreds of kids all around the world do too. Now listen, how would you feel to be one of those kids sitting on the bench alone?

A true friend is someone you can trust, love like a sibling, and talk to about anything. I can’t imagine living a life without that, without someone I can talk to or trust. A psychologist named Abraham Maslow created a hierarchy of needs. His third level of needs was love and belonging. He believed that once our physical needs are taken care of we need friendship. I agree with him and believe this too. Before I had heard about this I had never thought of friendship that way. Now I realize how important it really is to have friends. I feel extremely lucky to have my friends. I wish everyone got to have friends like mine.


Some friendships last a really long time, and some only last a short period of time. This doesn’t mean that the friends that last a short period of time are not as good friend. It just means that you don’t have the chance to know them for a long time. All friends have a purpose in peoples lives. When I went to camp in the summer I met a few friends. I was only at camp for a week, so they weren’t my friends for very long. But if I hadn’t met those friends I would be alone at this big camp with hundreds of people. They had a purpose in my life. I’ve also known friends for long periods of time, and if they weren’t my friends I would of always been alone.

Not very long ago, one of my closest friends moved away. I couldn’t bring myself to believe that I was not going to see her everyday like I used to. I was absolutely fine until the day came that I last saw her. When she moved I didn’t cry, but I did miss her like crazy. I pretended that she was going to be at school after the summer, and she was surprisingly going to end up staying. But I knew that was never going to happen. She was like a sister to me. I could trust her. And I could talk to her about anything. That’s what made it hard. But even though she left I still got a chance to have a great friend.

I believe that everyone should have a friend. Without my friends I would be alone, and I would be miserable. Having a friend is so important to me because, it means someone is always there for me no matter what. Somebody always has my back. Sometimes I ask myself how I would feel if I were the one sitting on that bench. To you it may not seem like a big deal, but I can guarantee if it were you, you'd think differently. And the thing is it only takes a small conversation to get that kid off the bench. And who knows you could end up meeting a really good friend.

3 comments:

  1. I think your essay is amazing! I really like your claim, and personally, I agree with it. I think your "Picture This" lead is really good. It really makes you feel for the boy. One tip, try not to use "You" so much. Overall, really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Honey, I like our essay. I am glad that you think that it is important to invest in friendships, whether they are for a short time or a long time. It is important to keep doing that, especially in Singapore where friends can move away. I also liked that you saw a best friend that moved away like a sister who you could trust and talk to about anything. I hope that you see you sister that way, even when she is really bugging you:). Love Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honey, I really liked your essay. I especially like that you think it is important to invest in friendships, whether they are going to be your friend for a long time or a short time. It is important to do that, especially living in Singapore. I also thought that it was great that you saw your best friend that moved away as a sister who you can trust and talk to about anything. I hope that you see your sister that way, even when she is bugging you:). I am proud of you! Love Daddy

    ReplyDelete